Benjamin Ringuet, is a local designer who has just finished studying and has created his own label - producing both male and female garments. He's already been involved in fashion parades such as Mercedes Fashion week, Port Office fashion and Westpac’s Queen street parade. We interviewed Benjamin about what he does, how he does it and what it's like being a young designer in Brisbane.

Become a fan on Facebook here

What do you do?

I do a bit of this, and a bit of that. Mainly designing and creating clothing, but I’m also the lead singer of a Brisbane band called Tikaal. On my days of I work in an antique store as security and general handyman, believe it or not.

Why do you do it?

I enjoy the challenge of designing clothing. It’s very unpredictable, I never really know until the last moment, if I’m actually going to be happy with my creation. The reason I started designing women’s garments is because it was a challenge, and I honestly didn’t think I could do it. Also the idea of making someone feel good about themselves, because of what they are wearing. Giving them individuality and a chance to stand out from amongst the fads, and trends. It’s also a lot of fun, and I get the chance to meet some real swell people along the way.

What are your thoughts on Brisbane being a breeding ground for young designers? Should we all just pack up our bags and moved to Melbourne?

Brisbane is a very unique city in itself. It differs from Melbourne and Sydney in a cultural sense. Brisbane has its own unique scene thriving through the music, fashion and art being produced at the present moment. Everywhere you go from West End to the Valley, boutiques are opening, new bands are forming, designers are flocking and culture is developing. Every second person I talk to when I’m out in town is a fashion designer or a bass player in some up and coming band, I’ve never heard of. Times are changing, artists are breeding. They say Brisbane is the fastest growing city in Australia, it’s a melting pot of the gifted, a blend of all the talents from our older sibling cities. It seems to be that everyone in Melbourne is packing their bags, and moving up to Brisbane.

On a scale of 1 to 69 (69 being the highest and also a mildly amusing number) how hard was it to create your own label in less than one year after leaving your studies? And why?

You Bats have no shame. But either do I, so I’d have to say 69. Seriously though, this year has been one hell of a roller coaster. I would be lying if I told you it hasn’t been hard, but at the same time this journey is only beginning. I have made lots of mistakes but you learn something different, or meet someone new every day.

Where can our readers get their filthy hands on your clothes?

They’d have to wash them first, but at the moment Benjamin Ringuet is being stocked at Red Cordial in the city, and Alterior Motif up the coast, stay tuned; I have high hopes to expand. You can also check out my Benjamin Ringuet facebook or email me on bringuet@hotmail.com if anyone would like purchase an item of clothing. If they're nice to me I can give them a good price. Also i'm currently selling some t- shirts at the moment with prints of some photos ive taken and some rare family photos from the summer of love, 1969.

How often do you wear our own creations?

Never, I only wear rare exotic furs and fabrics

What does the future hold for Benjamin Ringuet?

Fast cars,bright lights and expensive women. I’m not sure. I hope there’s a future for someone like myself, in this industry. I really want to expand out of Brisbane one day and create clothing for individuals willing to make a statement. I want to one day design suits, shoes and dresses. Most of all in the future I want to continue to do what I do best, designing clothes, writing music and making girls look pretty, for the sake of my amusement.


Benjamin recently had a fashion parade at Threaded, which we attended, here are a few photos of his clothes in action - courtesy of romanceinmypants.com